Saturday 28 January 2012

An Excess of Extracurricular Activities


It's official- I now have no lunchtimes left. In an attempt to broaden my mind/ earn some brownie points from UCAS/ avoid severe consequences from subject teachers, my week now looks like this:
Monday: break- library monitoring, lunch -European Youth Parliament debating practise.
Tuesday: break- library monitoring, lunch -Library monitoring.
Wednesday: break- eat some food! lunch- Science tutoring (or if all those ungrateful year 11s decide to go to the RIVAL session, prefect duty. Or the lower school reading committee)
Thursday: break- library monitoring, lunch- Maths tutoring (and hopefully, the reading group once a month)
Friday: break: library monitoring, lunch: library monitoring (where I really have to be)/ German tutoring (where I should be) /science week planning (where I'd like to be).
And this isn't even mentioning violin lessons and practise, orchestra, choir, brownies or youth club, nor the holiday club I help with in the holidays. It’s on top of all this that teachers and University advisors are telling us to get A* grades and work experience, do volunteer work in old people’s homes, and make sure we are reading university textbooks in all the subjects we might be interested in (along with 4 hours homework per night and on-going revision, of course.). I’m sure I’m not alone in wondering how on earth we are supposed to do all this? Every night for the past week I have been up until at least 11 o’clock doing homework, and I haven’t done any revision or reading, let alone done anything that could be described as particularly enjoyable. Is this really what it will be like for the rest of our lives? Working so hard to get into University, then to get into work, then (hopefully) to actually achieve something before reaching retirement? Suddenly, running away from home to live in a mud hut somewhere seems much more attractive….

No comments:

Post a Comment